Privacy Statement for the Noteable service
About this privacy notice
This privacy notice provides information about how EDINA and the University of Edinburgh collects and uses your personal information in relation to your use of the Noteable service.
Information about you: how we use it and with whom we share it
This privacy notice uses “you” to mean any individual about whom we collect and hold personal data. The information you provide will be used by the University to provide access to the Noteable service.
What information may we collect about you?
We collect, store and use the following categories of personal data:
- your details such as name, title, organisation address, telephone numbers, personal or work e-mail address,
- customer feedback. We may carry out customer research by providing customers with access to feedback questionnaires and surveys. Although this feedback is anonymous, the questionnaires provide the opportunity for free text comments, in which a customer may supply personally identifiable information about themselves, other customers or members of staff,
- your IP address,
- we collect your contact details such as name and personal or work e-mail address when you submit an enquiry.
How will we use the information about you?
We are using information about you that is required to register for and make use of the service. The Noteable service is designed to connect with a virtual learning environment through an LTI connection. To ensure the Noteable service provides meaningful recording of users' assessments, personal data are required to be stored.
Email and service website notification banners are the method via which users receive service notifications.
First name/surname are required for course registration only.
The information you provide to Noteable will be used by EDINA and the University of Edinburgh to:
- manage your subscription
- manage payment processes between you and EDINA, the University of Edinburgh
- maintain accurate and up-to-date records
- event administration
- process any incident or complaint you submit
- maintain or develop systems and processes
- meet legislative, statutory, contractual and audit requirements
- improve service levels
- update you on service changes, improvements and downtimes
- notify you of webinars, training events and conferences
- We will hold the personal data you provided us for 5 years after your initial enquiry. At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
We do not use profiling or automated decision-making processes. Some processes are semi-automated (such as anti-fraud data matching) but a human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.
How is your personal data collected?
Email address, first name, surname, username are collected to provide access to the Noteable service.
You give us your personal data through the information collected about you in order to subscribe and access Noteable, take a payment from you, respond to an email relating to an enquiry etc. We capture this information as it is necessary to fulfil the subscription contract.
Data controller and contact details
For data collected under this privacy notice, the University of Edinburgh (the “University”) is the Data Controller (as that term is defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679), registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office, Registration Number Z6426984.
The University's Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:
Address: Governance and Strategic Planning, University of Edinburgh, Old College, EH8 9YL Our data protection policy is on our website. University Data Protection Policy
In addition to the primary purposes, we are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this; we will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and proportionate.
You have the right to request access to, copies of and rectification or (in some cases) erasure of personal data held by the University and can request that we restrict processing or object to processing as well as (in some cases) the right to data portability (i.e. the right to ask us to put your data into a format that it can be transferred easily to a different organisation).
If you wish to make use of one of these rights, please email your local contact.
If we have asked for your consent in order to process your personal data you can withdraw this consent in whole or part at any time. To withdraw consent, please email your local contact, who will explain the consequences of doing so in any particular case and initiate proceedings for withdrawing consent.
If you are unhappy with the way we have processed your personal data you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), but we ask that you please raise the issue with our Data Protection Officer first.
As a visitor to https://noteable.edina.ac.uk we record your IP address; we do this so that we can monitor service user engagement.
You can access our cookies policy here: https://noteable.edina.ac.uk/cookie-policy/
If you have any questions, please contact the EDINA helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 650 3302.